Thai flavoured, crab cakes with a dressed vegetable slaw and wasabi creme fraiche
Oli Burnside, The Plough & Sail, Snape
Ingredients for Crab Cakes
Half medium white onion
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
140 grams risotto rice
700 ml fish stock
2 limes (zest and juice)
Salt and pepper
2 dressed crabs (use white and brown meat)
2 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce
1 bunch of coriander, chopped
Ingredients for slaw
50 grams beansprouts
2 red peppers
Ingredients for slaw dressing
2 tablespoons of fish sauce
2 tablespoons of soya sauce
2 tablespoons of water
1 tablespoon of sweet chilli sauce
Ingredients for wasabi creme fraiche
80ml creme fraiche
5 eggs, whisked
1. First, make the crab cake. Dice the onion and cook in the vegetable oil until cooked but not coloured. Then, add the risotto rice and continue to cook until the rice is warm and coated with oil.
2. Add the fish stock very slowly, continually stirring. After 5 minutes add all of the lime juice and zest. Continue cooking until the rice is tender and then add seasoning to taste.
3. Add the white and brown crab meat, chilli sauce and chopped coriander leaves. Fold the mixture together and put aside to cool. Once cooled, mould into small cakes before leaving in the fridge to set.
4. To make the slaw – thinly slice the carrots, red peppers and courgettes and add the beansprouts. Mix together.
5. To make the dressing – add the fish sauce, soya sauce, water and coriander stalks to a food processor and blend.
6. To make the wasabi creme fraiche – put the creme fraiche into a bowl and gently whisk in the wasabi paste to taste.
Finishing the dish
1. Coat the crab cakes in flour (pat off the access), then place into the whisked eggs, before rolling them in the breadcrumbs. Shallow fry in a pan on both sides until golden brown, before placing in an oven at 180°C / 350°F for five minutes until piping hot.
2. Finally, dress the slaw, place the crab cakes on top and drizzle with the wasabi creme fraiche and more dressing. Serve with lime.