Smoked East Coast Cod and Bacon Fishcake, Poached Egg Hollandaise
David Little, Satis House, Yoxford
1lb cod trimmings
1 pint fish stock
4 rashers streaky bacon
2 large King Edwards, peeled boiled and crushed
Handful of chopped chives
3 free range eggs
100g melted Butter
Sunflower oil for shallow frying
Salt and pepper
1. Poach cod trimmings in fish the stock until just cooked. Leave to chill down.
2. Fry off the bacon (not too crispy), chop into pieces,drain on kitchen paper and leave to chill down.
3. Add cod, bacon and chives to crushed potato and season to taste.
4. Form into fishcakes (as small or large as you prefer).
5. Leave in the fridge to set for an hour.
6. In the meantime make your hollandaise with one egg yolk and the juice of half a lemon, over a gentle heat, whisking continuously adding a little butter at a time until it transforms into a lovely sauce, season to taste and set aside keeping warm.
7. Dust the fishcakes with flour and shallow fry both sides until golden brown
8. Top with a soft poached egg, the hollandaise and some wilted spinach. Spritz with the remaining lemon before serving.