New Wolsey Theatre announces The Snow Queen Rock ‘n’ Roll Panto this Christmas
We have some great news for Ipswich Panto fans. Peter Rowe has re-imagined his Rock ‘n’ Roll Panto and adapted The Snow Queen story for a Live Streamed show that we’ll be staging this Christmas.
The Snow Queen will be much more than a show on stage with a camera pointed at it: this is an extremely ambitious blend of live action, animation, audience interaction, pre-recorded film and all the musical numbers you’d expect.
The show will go on even if we’re still in lockdown in mid December.
We have rigorous Covid-19 safety processes in place, so we can keep everyone safe. New Wolsey has some key things to shout about:
• Fans can be in the show! We’re inviting audiences to send us a recording of themselves dancing to Beyonce’s Love On Top. We’ll then do our best to include it in the show. We’re encouraging dressing up, silliness and plenty of showing off. Details on our website.
• The Carers’ Big Night In. We are giving away 400 free tickets to local carers for the Live Streamed show. We know they’ve done an extraordinary job of caring for some of the most vulnerable people in our communities over the last few months, often putting the needs of others before their own. We want to say a great big THANK YOU to our Carers. The 7pm performance of The Snow Queen on Tuesday 22nd December is dedicated to Carers. If we’re permitted to open the auditorium, we’ll include auditorium seats in the offer, but we think most Carers will want to watch from the safety of home. We’re working on an invitation list, so if you know of anyone (individual or a care home) that would benefit from a great big New Wolsey hug in the form of a free ticket, please email email@example.com.
• We’ll be able to give away even more than 400 free tickets if the public get behind this idea and ‘Pay It forward’ by making a donation to the theatre when they book their own tickets for the show. We’d love your help to spread the word.
• The Snow Queen runs from Thursday 17th – Thursday 24th December. Press night will be Friday 18h December (Online and limited seats in the auditorium).
• Tickets for the Live-Streamed show are £25 per screen and go On Sale on Friday 6th November at 10:00am – bookable through our website only.
• Our Box Office phone lines open Monday 9th November at 10:00am for people who require assistance to make the booking.
• If Government guidance permits, we’ll also have space in our auditorium for up to 140 people per show within their household bubbles of two, four or six (£50, £100, or £150). Availability is obviously limited compared to our usual Panto, but we’ve made sure that watching from home will be just as much fun…
Tickets for the limited auditorium seats go on sale wef Monday 9th November for Members only. General On Sale is Saturday 14th November.
• We have a surprise for people watching the Live Streamed show…we will need to collect an item from someone watching the show at home during the show. With Covid-19 safety all carefully worked out, this item is essential to finishing the story…will we get it or will it all go hilariously wrong…!
• Not only is this an incredibly ambitious production, we’ve raised our game to be even more accessible than ever before. All shows, online and live, will have captioning and audio description available as an option. Our British Sign Language (BSL) interpreted show takes place on Weds 23 Dec at 7pm, accessible both from home and in the auditorium. We’re also developing a plan for a Relaxed Performance version of the show, which will be available to watch from home. If anyone is interested in making use of this service, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• We will also be making one of the show recordings available for people to watch between Boxing Day and New Year, for a one –off payment of £25 for as many viewings as they like.
The Snow Queen has been re-imagined and written by Peter Rowe.
ICICLE/SIMON; GUITAR/BASS - JAMES HAGGIE
GERDA: SAX/KEYS - LUCY WELLS
DAME SIGRID SMORGASBORD - BASS/GUITAR - ROMFORD SIMMONDS SVEN LUMPHAMMER/KAY: DRUMS - ADAM LANGSTAFF
PRIMROSE/ SNOW QUEEN - NATASHA LEWIS
All’s well in the peaceful little town of Ballbroken; Gerda is about to be crowned the Queen of the May, the blacksmith’s apprentice Simon Specialwit hopes to graduate and get his very own hammer, and Dame Sigrid Smorgasbord has prepared a magnificent May Day feast. What’s more, it looks like something’s blossoming between Sigrid’s young son Kay, and Gerda, the blacksmith’s daughter. To top it all Primrose, Spirit of the Spring, smashes the Snow Queen’s cursed mirror, to destroy its dark powers and banish her forever. Little does she know this will only make matters worse!
Soon Kay is spirited away in the Snow Queen’s magic sleigh and held captive in her glittering Ice Palace. It’s up to brave young Gerda and poor Dame Sigrid to trek to the Frozen North to rescue him. Can they make it before Kay is turned to ice forever? Will love come out on top? And just how will Simon earn his very first hammer?
This year Peter Rowe’s Rock ‘n’ Roll panto is reimagined, bringing a brand-new adventure and all your favourite actor-musicians right into your living room! Featuring iconic songs like Let’s Get Loud, If I Had a Hammer, I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles), I Can See Clearly Now and Love on Top, The Snow Queen will be a sumptuous spread of music, mischief and mayhem for all the family.