For the pork
2kg Shoulder of Pork (ask your butcher to score the skin for the best crackling!)
4 cloves of Garlic
Maldon Sea Salt
For the braised cabbage
1 red cabbage finely sliced
1 onion diced
450g Cooking apples, chopped into 2.5cm cubes
4 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 cinnamon stick
½ pint red wine
200g Demerara Sugar
For the Pork
1. Preheat your oven to 220˚c or Gas mark 7.
2. Take your Pork Shoulder and pat it dry. Prepare a roasting tin with a little olive oil in the bottom. If your butcher hasn’t scored the skin, use a very sharp knife to slash the skin not quite to the flesh.
3. Rub Maldon sea salt flakes into the grooves. Turn the joint over and rub more salt and freshly milled pepper onto the meat.
4. Place the joint skin side up in the roasting tray and roast at 220˚C for 30 minutes.
5. Turn the oven down to 170˚C and cover the meat in two layers of tinfoil and cook for a further 4 hours. The tinfoil will help it retain its moisture.
6. Take the foil off after this time and place the pork in the oven again for 45 minutes until you have the crunching crackling!
For the Braised Red Cabbage…
1. Heat olive oil in a pan and add the onion. Cook until translucent.
2. Add the apples, cabbage and seasoning to taste. Stir well and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Simmer with the saucepan lid on for a further 45 minutes stirring occasionally.
The Pork Shoulder and braised cabbage are both delicious served with mashed potato…enjoy!